Are you a thrill seeker?

I often wonder why many people take life-threatening risks just for fun. Take sky diving and mountain climbing for examples. Sure you might get an emotional thrill from it or a great sense of accomplishment but what if by accident you cripple or kill yourself? Then you may be labeled reckless or foolhardy or even selfish. Yes selfish, for putting your personal needs of thrill seeking ahead of the needs of your family and friends who want you to be a part of their lives. You could argue that there is risk in everything we do, especially just driving a car. Well that is something most of us must do for one reason or another. It is usually not optional and is generally safe. Some people in this world even choose to do very dangerous things for a living. I'm not talking about policemen, firemen or the military because they must take risks to aid others. But what about race car drivers or motorcycle daredevils? The odds of living a long life in these "professions" seem low. Even though Evel Knievel and his son lived to brag about their jumps, lots of other daredevils have not been so lucky. Also, when Dale Earnhardt Sr. died in the 2001 Daytona 500 race, I felt more sorry for his wife and kids and wondered why he was even out there racing. I doubt it was for the money. I think it was for the continued thrill of racing. Although a freak accident, his death was essentially by choice. It may be fun to watch people who make their living taking risks or to take those risks yourself, but I believe that life is already too short. Why increase the odds of making it any shorter? The many risk takers in the world would probably say to me that I should try it before I knock it. Well, I don't have to try jumping off a tall bridge (even attached to a bungee cord) to know the obvious risks. I'm in no way telling anyone what they should or shouldn't be doing when it comes to risky business. I would jump out of a plane if it were going to crash, I would climb a mountain if I were being chased by a wild animal, I would speed in a car if I had to get a seriously injured person to a hospital but I would not do something dangerous just for the thrill of it or for the money. Image and video hosting by TinyPic

0 comments